Tuesday, January 12, 2010

changes


Mom and Dad were married for 55 years. 
Mom has been dealing with Parkinson's disease
for the better part of 5 years.
Dad found out he had cancer in June and passed away in October. 
You can never anticipate the changes life may throw your way.
*
In addition to starting back to teaching school after the break, the last couple of weeks have been spent planning, making decisions about what to take, shopping for things that she'd need in her new place, and moving my sweet Mom into an assisted living facility.  I stayed with her for the week-end.  It's a wonderful place.  I think she'll be well taken care of there.  But we lived next door to Mom and Dad for 11 years.  My youngest was only ten when we built our house right next door to "G & G." (grammie and grandad)   My Dad helped to build our house.  Our backyard was really G&G's property, but we always thought of it as ours, jointly.     Change is hard.      I find myself wishing that I could  talk to Dad just one more time.  I just want to ask his advice like I always did.  Mom and my brother think we should sell the house and Dad's barn, the pond and several acres.  But before he died, Dad said he wanted it to stay in the family.  Gosh, I wish he'd put that in his will.  When Dad and I talked I told him that he and my brother and I should sit down and talk about all of these things, but he died before we had that opportunity.  I feel sad.  I had dreamed of making Maple Crest Farm into a business that hosted events, parties, weddings...
Lord, what is your will for us?

Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.  Proverbs 19:21

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry about you losing your Dad.. This one touched home in a couple of ways. I'm facing the fact that I'll probably either be taking care of my dad and his wife soon or finding a nice place for them...She has dementia and he's trying to take care of her..he's 82 she's 10 years younger. You're right, you never know what life will bring. I hope you can keep the land and live your dream..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost forgot to tell you what a sweet couple they are. I love the picture...
    And what an awesome daughter you are for your Mom. She'll need you..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss. Change is so hard, especially when we feel we don't have any control over it. I'm sure your Mum will settle in and find some peace. I hope 2010 is a better year for you.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Susan...!

    I feel you loss. The loss of your dad, your mom health, your family home and for all the big and little changes.
    I miss my day terribly!!

    Please take this big "HUG"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Dad" not day.
    (I still get emotional just thinking about him)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss of your sweet dad..so many things to think about. Prayer is a good way to start. Hoping your mom settles in well and you will find some answers to your questions. Take care my friend... sending you lots of extra love in this post today. xoxox

    ReplyDelete